This information being taken from a book written by Arahwana Hendren Ridens named the Dyer County and Newbern Tennessee, A history of the 39 earliest families in Dyer County. Part of this information was extracted from this publication, along with other documents and related stories and oral family histories. We continue with the entries of the McCorkle Diaries and what was entered about the from his perspective as a Newbern business owner.

This issue begins in January 1900 and marks the start of the Twentieth Century. The opening day of the 20th century began with 20 degrees above zero. The McCorkles celebrated the day with a turkey dinner. There were 8 friends and family to share it with the McCorkle family.

In January 1900 James Gay and Marion Holmes of Trenton stopped by on their way to Newbern with 12 head of short horn registered cattle. They went on to Newbern but back for the night. The next day all the talk was about the heavy fog and the big railroad wreck at Maffets Station out of Troy. The engineer was killed.

There was, as usual for the time of the year, lots of sickness in the community. Sore throats and chicken pox scare was allover the county. They even closed the school for two weeks due to illness. Mr. Crenshaw finally re-opened it after the short vacation. Some grown-ups had measles including Mr. and Mrs. C. H. Hood.

Newbern was a big center for shipping chickens. One day Mr. McCorkle sold 105 to Lambert and Shoffner; sold 18 to neighbors, and killed 7 in catching them. One day the community filled a railroad car full to ship. The car held 5,000 chickens. It still was not enough so they shipped more in coops later.

On January 29: Mr. McCorkle stated he turned Cecil Leach off work, (laid off) He had no objection to his work. He stated he was too much a gentleman or rather had too much business away from home at night and cigarette smoking. It was 14 degrees that day.

McCorkle sent 26 bushels of wheat to the mill and got it milled into flour.

On February 4th, the McCorkles put up and commenced cooking on their new Forster Queen stove which cost them $24.00. In research, I could not find a Foster Brand Queen Stove. I did find a Queen Kitchen Stove as indicated in the photograph. If the stove was purchased for $24.00 that would be about $700 based on inflation.

One entry at the bottom of a page in the diary of McCorkle wrote: "John F. Cornelius, Milburn, Ark. born 24 March 1800. J. A. Humer is step-son. He lives in Union City. Once lived in Jim Cochran's field near Plumer Shoffner's place, probably about 1840. His wife was a Ledsinger".

On March 6, 1900 there was a primary election for sheriff and trustee. Allen Dunlap was elected sheriff, W. L. Fowlkes got the job of Trustee.

There was a lot of sickness in the community and several deaths. Mrs. Ben Spain died near Edgewood leaving her husband with twin baby boys about 1 week old.

On March 13th, McCorkle planted his garden with radishes, peas, beets, and corn and two days later a big 5 inch snow fell. Too bad for the garden. The snow stopped some of the visiting as McCorkle wrote, "Fewer people passing on the road since the snow that fell Feb. 2, 1886". Mrs. Rice was determined to visit and went to visit the McCorkle's on Stone's U. S. Mail coach. Adjacent is a Mail Coach that would be similar to one used to transport mail between Dyersburg and Dyer.